Your passenger rights

As a paying passenger your travel rights dictate that you are entitled to a written copy of your rights under the Denied Boarding Regulations. The airline is obliged to provide you with this along with assistance if the delay is expected to go beyond a certain period.

Free phone call, fax or email

As an affected passenger your rights dictate that you are entitled to two free phone calls, faxes or emails to any persons that you feel would need to be informed of your delayed travel plans and transport issues affecting your holiday or return flight.

Free meals and refreshments

As your extended stay within your current destination has been extended without your approval the cost of your meals within the airline or consequential accommodation should be covered under the airport expenses, to a degree appropriate to the length of the delay.


As a delayed passenger affected by overbooked, delayed or cancelled flights you are entitled to free hotel accommodation and hotel transfers in the event that an overnight stay is required. If you are not or have not been offered this then it is advised that you make a formal complaint and further to this if you are still not offered accommodation expenses then contact a solicitor to seek compensation.


Alternatively to waiting on a delayed flight, passengers are entitled to obtain a refund of the ticket price in the event that the delay lasts for five hours or more but is not cancelled.

Entitlement criteria

You are entitled to compensation and expense cover in the event that your flights are delayed for:

  • At least two hours — and the flight distance is under 932 miles
  • At least three hours — and the flight is within the EU with the distance to travel of an excess of 932 miles
  • At least three hours — and the flight isn’t within the EU but is between 932 and 2,174 miles
  • At least four hours — any other flight.

If you have been put out by travel disruptions; flight delays, cancellations and / or any airline faults that have effected your holiday, trip away or return home, contact a solicitor today.